Sunday, October 16, 2005

Two Different Worlds

SUNDAY NIGHT, OCT 16th

Talk about two different worlds. Sunday is a work day for me, never a day of rest. I was down the road a bit in the village of Kaiteme for worship this morning. I walked back home in the scorching heat. Took a brief nap (poor Kelly gets “day care” with the kids all day pretty much), then I was off again by 4pm. I stopped by one village to pick up a some of the Christians in another village nearby. We were heading to a village called Gbotayidohoue (just call it “Bow-Tie” for short). Our evangelism team has been working in “Bow-Tie” for several months. We are just about ready to launch a new church plant there. It’s a typical rural African village. We were meeting under an open-air meeting place of palm branches laid on top of 5”diameter sticks. Nothing fancy and certainly no A/C (by the way, the A/C is out in our truck, too!) The red dirt floor turned to mud from the rains we’ve had the past couple of days. Some of the team preached a little, others prayed, and we called for a list of those who wanted to follow Christ and be baptized. (Note: Although I believe we have and are teaching a high view of baptism, since water is 15+miles away, we “schedule” baptisms, often it seems as if we do them about every three months or so; we rarely do any on-the-spot-Ethiopian-eunuch-style baptisms.) Anyway, that’ll come in about 2 weeks. After we were done, we headed back just as it started to rain again. The dirt paths around this area were washing away right in front of us, so the one-lane truck path converted to a narrow motorcycle path quickly. Thankfully, with four-wheel drive, we made it through by using the water-filled ditches for traction. Definitely some off-roadin’ going on! After dropping off the guys in their village (where there is no electrical power), I came down the road closer to our house where we do have power…normally. Whenever a storm approaches, the electric company shuts off the power all over town until the storm passes. Needless to say, we love storms (the smell of rain is great wherever you are and the cooler temps are nice), but we dread them in the evening when the power goes out…get out the candles!! Kelly’s gone through just about every candle we brought back from America last time (we are at the end of rainy season). Fortunately, just as I was pulling up, the power was restored! Don’t know what context your kids learned the phrase, “Hallelujah!”, but for ours it was not in church…it has been when the power comes back on!

I’ll confess something to you. I am “suffering” from a bad head cold (so is Jonathan and so is Lael). No, that’s not the confession. With my head throbbing and finding it virtually impossible to breathe, it’s a little hard for me to concentrate on speaking the Aja language, and even harder to understand it when others are talking really fast. So during the evangelism meeting, my mind tuned out for a while to nothing but English. What came to my mind? The Cowboys’ game vs. the Giants! It was going on at the same time I was sitting in this hot and dirty African village…I was imagining myself sitting alongside my brother, DV, watching the game at his house, or better yet, sitting in the stands eating nachos and drinking a Diet Coke (or is it Pepsi products at Texas Stadium?) I’d snap back to reality from time to time, but I will tell you, that as soon as I walked in the door, I went to our computer.

After several days of frustrating phone connections (or lack thereof), I was able to get connected to the internet right away. I went to my FoxSports website to catch the scores and saw the Cowboys were up by 4 points in the 4th quarter. The site refreshes itself after each play, so I could keep up…but then the game just got too exciting. So I did a Google search and found LIVE streaming audio of the Cowboys’ game (with Brad and Babe!) broadcasting from KHOY.org…a Spanish-speaking Catholic radio station out of Laredo (TX)…it was such a clear connection (got knocked off a couple of times, but got right back on…no that’s internet talk, not talking about riding horses). I got to listen to the rest of the game, even as it went into OT! Great game Cowboys…first place in the NFC East!!! When I am in America, I prefer listening to the Dallas Cowboys Radio Network (with Brad Sham and Babe Laufenberg) over listening to the TV commentators…so it was like old times!

I dragged Kelly to sit with me and listen to the last part of the game (actually she got into it…it was just that it was almost 9pm here and she deserved a night’s sleep after a day with all the kids by herself…thanks SBG for watching it with me!) When it was over, I called Donny and we talked about the game and about ACU Homecoming Weekend. When I got off the phone, Kelly and I were talking about how amazing it is that we can be in such different frames of mind at various times in our living here in Benin…sometimes, we are 100% in the Africa thing…and other times our minds think about home, we get to connect with friends and family in America on a blog or on the phone, or even get to listen to America’s Team win a game on a Sunday afternoon (night here)!

-Randy

6 comments:

Anthony Parker said...

In our house, I believe the expression is "Praise the Lord!" when the power comes back on.

I remember being struck by the 2 worlds reality when I'd go on survey trip and then go back to grad school -- sometimes it's hard to believe that it is the same world; and sometimes it doesn't seem like it's very "fair" that it's the same world. Which is the "real world"?

Sure glad I never zone out listening to Ewe.

Kelly Vaughn said...

Good to hear from you Anthony....thanks for your comment....be curious to have missionaries all over spill the beans on what they are thinking about while zoning out from the foreign language they are working in...bet we'd get some pretty crazy responses!

Dennis...don't know you, but I appreciate your comments over the past couple of weeks...I'm sorry I haven't reciprocated on your blogs...it is good to hear from other missionaries from different parts of this world (we have some colleagues in Morelia...wonder how far/close that is to you?)

Becky - glad to see you can check the blog and hold down the fort at the same time as hubby is gone...saw the pictures today of hopefully the first of several good hunts! I figure I'll be sending out Timo and Jonathan with their Uncle Andy to learn how it's done! That's sexist I guess...so I'll send Tori and Lael, too.

-Randy

Sam said...

Don't forget that I read this blog too! If you are going to be innacurate and paint me as the Jacob of the family, at least let me take the girls and teach them how too make some stew.

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

It was so fun to talk to you after the game. That's the best post-game show I've had in a while - talking to you after a Cowboy victory!! Your post was exactly what I was thinking later on after we finished talking. It cracks me up that a Catholic Radio Station will have this day of programming:

1) Catholic Radio Weekly
2) Catholic Answers
3) Tu Companero Catolico
4) Cathedral Sunday Mass LIVE
5) The Angelus
6) The Rosary
7) Nuevo Concepto Jazz Program
and...
8) Dallas Cowboys 2005 Season (they even show the Cowboys' logo on the programming page!!

Do you think the Program Director is a big Steelers fan!! HA I'd like that the Cowboys Marketing Department would be proud (I think) of knowing that there are big Cowboy Catholics out there!!

What about this programming note:

9) Emmitt vs. The Pope - Call us and give us your opinion!
10) Confessions of Redkins Haters
11) Priests Post Game - listen to some of local Catholic priests give their opinions on the Cowboys' game
12) Birth Control to Ball Control - we'll cover all sorts of topics that are critical to Catholics
13) Parcells Purgatory - hot sports opinions from those who want to see the Cowboys get a coach under the age of 40!

Ok, I think I should have stopped with #12. Love ya brother!! -donny, aka "the black sheep of the family"

Kelly Vaughn said...

DV,
What about the obvious:

14) Hail Mary Highlights - real-life testimonies of those who, in their desparate, down-n-out situations, saw the image of the Virgin Mary in their nachos.

-RV

*#12 still has me laughing!

Kelly Vaughn said...

Dear Sensitive Sam:

Sorry for the oversight, however, your reaction troubles me. It's either one of two things: (1) a troubled relationship with your mother, or more likely (2) a recent change that is causing you some deeper issues of insecurity...have you recently purchased a mini-van?

-Dr Phil