Friday, July 16, 2004

Bloggin' from Africa!

I've now got my own blog. Wow. Feel like I did when I got my diploma from Abilene Christian University on the night of commencement...proud to have a nice looking cover, but inside it was void of any content (it did come later, which is what I hope happens with this blog). 
 
I'm a missionary in Africa (Benin which is in West Africa).  Of course if you're reading this, you're either family or a friend who probably already knows that.  Of course I also don't like being defined by that title either...I prefer the title of "international minister" (too many stigmas with the traditional title).  I have no idea how I'm going to keep up with this blog...we have no phone at our house, at least not at the moment.  I'm 3 hours west of the capital city of Cotonou, where I am now sitting at a hotel on the beach with pretty decent internet access.  Maybe my blog will be a monthly entry, or even better a monthly inundation of all my daily blogs that I've written at my house where I didn't have an internet connection.  Who knows, maybe I'll just transform my entire ministry, scheduling all discipleship sessions, evangelistic meetings, and leadership retreats around my blog time.  If I want to keep getting my paycheck, I guess that wouldn't be the best idea.
 
Anway, back to the "missionary" thing....you'll notice that I'll sign my entries with that title...that's mainly for any trace of shock value as you hear my thoughts on life, culture (both African and American) and whatever else...I'm wanting you to say, "wow, I can't believe he said that, isn't he a missionary?"  I don't pretend to be controversial or confrontative, but I do have some bizarre thoughts now and then that probably don't line up with your idea of what a missionary might think (or you on pins and needles, yet?).  And I'll probably be alot more bold on a blog than I would be in person.  Pitiful, hiding behind your blog, huh?
 
Of course, the latter part of my signature, which is also the title of my blog, comes from a nickname my friend and post-college roommates, George Neel & Chris Hamm, gave to me.  Basically, in describing my rather calm (maybe they were even implying "boring") demeanor, they named me "Rockin' Randall" (I think there is some connection to rebel country star Hank Williams Jr, too...of Monday Night Football promo fame).  As a postscript to the "rockin'" designate, George would say, "it's because you are anything BUT."  So I've never been described as "rowdy", "wild", "crazy", "unruly", "unleashed"... but being a missionary in a bush village in Africa should count for something.
 
Well, I better go...gotta write my next blog before I leave and head back into the bush where internet hasn't quite reached yet!
 
Missionary Rockin' Randall

1 comment:

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

This is awesome !! I would love to see someone like Doug have this. I think it would be entertaining. Maybe he'll read this and feel compelled !!

Love ya brother !! 48 more days from today before I land on Benin soil.