Wednesday, July 21, 2004

The Fitted Sheet Conspiracy Theory

OK, who out there would like to revolt against the fitted sheet concept?

I have visited countless hotel chains across the world (maybe a little exagerated) where they just simply use a flat sheet on the bottm as well and fold it tightly under the mattress...seems to work just fine in place of the fitted sheet.

Is it a conspiracy with the elastic company as I suspect?  I mean, doesn't your fitted sheet's elastic always give out before your flat sheet does..but because of the former's deterioration, we are forced to buy an entire new set of sheets, or at least a new fitted one...and then who can find the exact same style, pattern, color as your existing flat sheet...of course, then you've got one new brightly colored fitted sheet with a faded dull flat sheet which then begs the homeowner to purchase a new flat sheet to match...just wreaks of conspiracy if you ask me.

I'm not sure if my mother ever really taught me the art of folding the fitted sheet?  If she did, I'm sorry to say I need a refresher.  Are you like me? (yes, I do help occasionally with the laundry).....I get all psyched up to tackle the goliath of all household chores, trying my best to make an elastic piece of cotton fabric have perfect creases, and then I just get frustrated, and just wad it up and try and make it the same size as the nicely folded corresponding flat sheet so it'll stack nice and neat in the closet.  I think our men and women in uniform must have to know the trick to this...can anyone help?  Or maybe I'll just start insisting that in our family, we will buy two matching flat sheets and use them as we please.  If I was a batchelor again (like I am now...Kelly and kids are in Texas for 3 weeks), I would probably just use the two flat sheets, then after a few weeks or so, I'd just switch them (how dirty does the flat sheet really get that you cover with?)  Seems like life would be a lot easier. 

Rockin' Randall
Missionary - Benin, West Africa

 

No comments: