Sunday, September 18, 2005

We're Back!

A humorous look at a Good Housekeeping article from 1955....link here to Greg's blog.

===============

Well, the Prices are somewhere in the U.K. enjoying a well-deserved vacation. Then they are off to the States through the end of the year for furlough. We already miss them so much.

I start a week-long class with the Kaiteme (ky-tim-ay) church tomorrow. It's not my usual format...they will all come to my house for a 9-2 course Mon-Sat (take a break on Wed for "market day" though). Usually I would go to their village, but since they are all within walking distance and they begged to have it at my place (they say it's too noisy in the village...true), I am going to try it. We're going to hit the highlights (is such possible?) of the Gospel of John. All in one week!! Wow! I did a John review at Dekpo (deek-po) recently, but it was only an hour or so every week for several months. But there are a number of high school age kids in this congregation who are strong Christians and hungry for some teaching....they are still on their break (school starts here in Oct...same for Tori, too)....so I'm taking advantage of an intensive-style short course so that they can be a part of the entire thing.

Sossa's boy, André, continues to do well....praise the Lord!!!

We got to enjoy a few wonderful days of rest and so we're back home now. All the kids are healthy (Lael actually was diagnosed this past Tuesday with her very first ear infection...seems to be clearing up well with medication....we're thankful for that!) The adoption process begins this week....gathering all the necessary documents! God is so amazing....the place where we went for our rest and relaxation...well, we just "happened" run into another missionary couple from another West African country who just finished adopting a local boy in a very similar situation! God is so perfect in His timing! We were very encouraged and it was interesting to hear their story all along the way. The frustrating part that awaits us is what we missionaries call "the West Africa stuff." This is the hassles that are primarily a result of greed, power, and just corruption. It's the "system" or "the way things are done"....but it involves alot of power trips, frustrating conversations, and lots of wrangling that to us seems unnecessary! But having done this for over 6 years now, with visas, resident cards, car papers, insurance, etc...we are somewhat accustomed to it. Our new friends from Niger said that if we understood what to expect with the W.A. stuff, then we'd be fine....shouldn't take longer than 6-8 months. So here we go.....

I'm starting my self-guided Greek course....been working on the alphabet over the past couple of weeks....already have the thing pretty much memorized. That's chapters 1-3 in my book (there are over 30 so bear with me). This is all in effort toward furthering my theological education (probably toward an M.A.-Religion degree someday). Just figured someone would want to know (I don't think my Mom will feel sorry for me; I think she thinks I'm crazy!...especially with 2 kids under the age of 9 months....she's probably right!!...aren't you Mom!)

-RV

1 comment:

Sam said...

There is not a doubt in my mind that you will do great.