Friday, December 16, 2005

Contagious Christmas Joy

Tori Vaughn is great company. Homeschooling with Tori is for the most part a lot of fun. We work hard and we laugh a lot too. She is such a funny person. She loves to laugh and she has a very quick sense of humor.
This week we have been working really hard in Math and Language Arts. We also have really enjoyed making some Christmas decorations. Tori loves to draw and she has been very creative in her art work. She is very excited about the season and loves drawing scenes with Santa and snowmen. As well she has done some great pictures involving Mary, Joseph, and Jesus, angels, shepherds, and wise men. Tori is constantly humming, whistling, or singing Christmas carols. Daily, she says “Mom this is absolutely the best time of the year!” This means a lot to me. I am so thankful that the heat and lack of “Christmas décor” outside of our gates does not dampen her joy for the season. She has experienced Christmas in America and here in Benin and she knows the differences. Her contagious joy blesses our family.

We have definitely entered the dry season and the heat is very intense. Sometimes when the power is off, it is very hard to keep going with school and sometimes we have to stop. However, most days we really must summon the strength to press on because you never know when we will have to take a daytrip (and miss school) to Cotonou for a doctor visit and we also are approaching a week of Christmas vacation. This morning the power was off and we were out in the schoolroom...we were sweating profusely and yet trying to press on with our work.....Tori was working on her math when she suddenly looked up and said, "Mom, I need a cold stiff drink!"
Laughing, I said where did you hear that? She then quoted the "stiff drink" line from 2 Christmas movies that we have watched recently. She said I can tell they are talking about a powerful drink and I want a cold one!..........

Later in the afternoon I heard Tori in the bathroom. We have a scented spray that is in the basket by the toilet. I heard her spraying it but it wasn't like she had her finger pressing on it for one spray, it was more like several short sprays. This went on for a minute or two.
I said, Tori what are you doing in there? She kinda giggled and said "I'm spraying Jingle Bells!"

Regardless of what it may look like outside, we are not short on Christmas spirit around here!:)

2 comments:

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

Randy, as a member of the "I love the Christmas Spirit Fanclub", it gives me great joy to hear my niece talk about Christmas so much!! I love it and tell her that. I just know there will be a year when I start to hang my Christmas lights on my house and I have to say "Tori, you be careful up on that roof" because I know she will be helping me.

Love ALL the pics you send out. It's amazing how your blog changes when there are pictures to look at. I'm not baggin' on ya for not including a picture on this post (sorry if sounded that way). It's just that I'm finally get a chance view your blog over the last few weeks!! Great lookin' family!! Love ya brother!! -donny

Kendra said...

I'm with Donny - makes me smile to hear stories about Tori and her passion for this season of the year. I can't wait to have she and Tyler together at Christmas again . . .they are both inheritors of the "Vaughn Christmas gene" that can be all-consuming this time of year! Give her a sqeeze for me, and thanks for sharing. Wish I could blow some cold December air your direction . .