Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Kelly's illnesses - on the road to recovery

I have not felt it appropriate to blog much in light of the tragedy of Cyndi Chowning’s death last week (see posts below). Still, her memorial service is not until Saturday, so I feel it is most respectful to Richard and his family not to blog too much this week either. I know the journey of grief will go on for years, but this is such a painful week for their family. I believe Richard is due to arrive tonight in America (Tuesday), but Cyndi’s body will not be arriving until later in the week. I cannot imagine dealing with the death of my wife, much less being separated from her body for so many days and for it to be across the world. May the Lord give the Chowning family all much grace and peace this week and beyond.

The events of last week (all of which I didn’t feel it appropriate to blog about) also included Kelly getting very, very sick. Again, in light of the tragic and senseless death of a servant of Christ, I just couldn’t blog about Kelly being sick…even as bad as it was. I think you all understand why.

It all started a week ago tonight….probably some mild symptoms prior to that….but it hit hard Tuesday night last week. Kelly was bedridden and sicker than I had ever seen her. Yes, I was scared many times, and candidly, the news of Cyndi’s death on Wednesday afternoon intensified every fear I had. Life is so fragile anywhere, but there’s something about being here in rural Africa where that feeling is exaggerated. So far from medical help and working alone heightened the reality that when we needed an extra pair of hands to watch the kids, it was a challenge. But God did provide through some precious African friends who work in our home who went above and beyond their normal work duties (including working on their normal days off) to help me watch the kids, cook food, and even do laundry. And our old friend Jim Kennell (a teammate here in Benin until 2002 who is visiting for a few weeks) also chipped in a whole lot with the kids and helped me have some sanity late at night, debriefing what was happening with Kelly (symptoms), reviewing medications (and deciding between the two of us some things that were not necessary), and just talking about life (a good distraction when Kelly was finally getting rest).

Today, Kelly was strong enough and we all went to Cotonou to do some additional blood work and see one of the European doctors that we are accustomed to using. After reviewing today’s blood work, the results showed that for the past week, Kelly has been dealing with a grave case of malaria (but now well on the road to recovery), slight anemia, and a serious bacterial infection that is impacting her liver and resulting in ruthless fatigue (worse than the fatigue you get from the flue or mono…deep, deep fatigue). The latter is still the enemy of the day and recovery (Rest! Rest! Rest!) will last for several weeks. There had been some suggestions from the doctors in our rural clinic about typhoid fever and even hepatitis. Both of those were ruled out today at the doctor in Cotonou! Praise the Lord!

Again, I hesitate to even write about this in light of the Chownings’ ordeal….please forgive me. But I know so many of you would want to know what’s gone on with Kelly, too. Her body has suffered a lot….taken some mighty hard blows….but healing is evident and the victory is clear! The fatigue will be conquered by God’s own design (shouldn’t we all rest more?!) But while my heart is light and leaps for joy over Kelly’s progress, I do so with hesitancy knowing Richard lost his wife this past week. The severity of my wife’s illnesses and his wife’s accident occurred on the very same day. This week, Richard is grieving Cyndi’s death alongside of his children. I spent today laughing with my wife and enjoying the color back in her beautiful eyes. Two very different emotions for our two families. I’m still trying to process it all in my head and I can’t. Why Cyndi? Why now? Why how? And why do we get to celebrate healing next to a friend in the deepest grief of his life? God is good and can make sense of it all, but honestly I can’t in my head.

For those of you who did know what was going on with Kelly, thank you so much for your encouraging emails and phone calls….they too played a huge role in encouraging us!

-Randy

4 comments:

jaime s said...

We continue our prayers for your family as well as for the Chownings. Thank you for the update on Kelly.

We love you guys!

Shelly said...

I was so glad to see an update on Kelly. Praise God for His Sovereignty. We'll never understand the "why" of so many things on this earth. Praying for continued healing and rest for Kelly and of course healing and peace for the Chowning family.
Love,
Shelly Willbanks

Monica said...

So glad to hear you made it to Cotonou and that you got good answers there!! You have been in my thoughts a prayers.

Ron and Marilyn said...

Randy and Kelly,

You have been in our thoughts and prayers ever since last week when Suzy shared the news with the CBW team in Indonesia. Our hearts were so heavy and we all fell to our knees and shouted to Jehovah Rapha to heal and sustain Kelly and Randy through this very hard time. We also called out to our Lord to hold Richard and his family in His Hands. Plus, that He would finish the adoption process for Lael. We then shared with all 38 participants from all over Asia to hold you in prayer. And they have continued to do so until now. Please know you are not forgotten but we know that you need to hear or read messages from us all to know that we are praying and crying for you. We love you with God's love and are so very thankful that Kelly is recovering one step and one day at a time.

You are loved,

Marilyn