Friday, November 11, 2005

Today we celebrated two more baptisms...this time in the village of Ainahoue (yee-NAH-way). Matthias is a strong evangelist and a man of great faith (who has endured years of persecution after becoming a Christian in 2001). The church at Ainahoue was planted by the efforts of two friends and former missionary colleagues among the Aja people, Greg Bailey and Murphy Crowson. I remain involved in teaching and discipleship. We went out early today for the baptisms, and then studied the Gospel of John from 7p until well after 10p...all by kerosene lanterns. This is a small band of believers who have remained faithful over the years in spite of persecution and some reversions. They are a small group, but they are so hungry for the Word of God...it feels good to share with them...we are working through a series on John's Gospel (tonight was Lesson #3 on the healing of the official's son, the feeding of the 5000, and Jesus' reference to himself as the Bread of Life). Praise God with us for the older man BALLOWI (bah-low-wee) and the young man KOFFI (ko-fee) who, tonight, enjoy their names written in the Lamb's Book of Life! Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

erinlo said...

I'm not sure how I got to your blog, but I wanted you to know how much I am enjoying reading it. I am so humbled by your service in Africa. I am also a friend of Andy and Melissa's and saw their picture below. Please know that my family will be praying for ya'll. My boys will love having more people to pray for in Africa.

Unknown said...

We attended the Harvest Dinner this evening and it was such a blessing. Then I got home and read your blog! It just gets better! Praise God for all that He is doing through you and others in Benin and around the world. Sometimes my vision gets so narrow about what God "can" do and then I am reminded again of His great power! May He continue to bless you and your sweet family.
Mindy Tyndall

Brooks Inc. said...

Hey guys-

Just in from an incredible harvest Sunday...The Lord spoke through Jim in a powerful way giving me so many new thoughts. The flag ceremony brought tears as always. (When dad walked out carrying his flag, Payton yelled from the back of the auditorium, "Paw, Here I am!") YOu guys were the featured piece in the bulletin talking about the actual "Harvest Sunday" where you all baptized 72. I love this Sunday every year. We are so thankful for the chance to partner with you as you take His word to His people! Loving you so much...I think I will go call you-
Beck

Kelly Vaughn said...

erinleonard & mt,
good to hear from long-time readers, first-time commenters. Thanks for your encouraging words and your faithful prayers.

beck,
always good to hear from you...love thinking of Payton yelling across the sanctuary for Morton! We miss that kid so much!! Timo still does things that remind us so much of his cousin. We love you guys!

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

All this talk of Harvest Sunday is making me curious to know the final tally!! If you hear, make sure you send an email out so we'll know.

Love you guys!!! -donny-