Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Wrestling With God

Our family is still “recovering” from a whirlwind of activity last week and over the weekend.   We’re exhausted and trying to rest (although life doesn’t slow down much for Kelly and homeschooling…oh yeah, and those 4 wonderful kids!)  

We are shocked and dismayed by the events about Pastor Kyle Lake in Waco.  I assume most of you have heard.  We cannot keep thinking about his wife, his small children that will know little of their Daddy, and the trauma for the entire church to have witnessed it.  Why Lord?  Yes, our God is Sovereign and He numbers our days.  We wrestle like many of you on “Why? Why such a terrible death?”  Our hearts are heavy.  Just over the past week, I stood on the edge of the same body of water and witnessed over 75 being baptized.  At such a glorious moment (baptism), how can such a tragic “accident” happen?  I do know THE answers, but I also think it is healthy to ask questions and wonder.  It helps root our faith in the TRUTH, not just relying on responses we have rehearsed for times like these.  Believe me, in my work as a missionary, I have struggled so often with these situations when all the new young believers around us are screaming, “Why? Explain this to us! How could God…?”  It’s such a battle to know when to shrug, “I don’t know” and when/how to offer real tangible words that make a difference.  Sometimes those who are asking are not eager for explanatory expressions, but rather an authenticity that admits that God’s ways are higher and beyond our imagination.  Sometimes I will give my kids answers to offer them security in knowing that Dad knows what’s going on and it’ll be alright.  But sometimes I will say, “I don’t understand it either” so I can show them that wrestling with God is part of the developing of intimacy with our Creator.  He is our Maker.  We are His Creations.  There is a relationship already established.  By God’s kind grace, He welcomes us to explore Him, His inexplicable ways, His mysteries, His supernatural sovereignty, and His peculiarly permissive will.  How are you thinking about this tragedy?

Tomorrow, Kelly and I are planning on visiting a lady in one of our churches whose husband (Joseph L.) just “put her away” last week…returning her to her family…which is the cultural equivalent of a divorce.  What do we say when we see her?  Any words of advice?

On a lighter note, now that we are into November, we are gearing up for Tori’s party this weekend.  Tori’s 7th Wild Western Roundup (on the beach)!!  I am working on the cake and it is proving to be the biggest challenge yet (Tori would love to have a 3-D, edible cowgirl riding a horse….what???!!! come on!)  In the end, she’ll love it and it’ll get eaten, so we’re not stressing too much (doubt she’ll get her exact request).  We’re looking forward to partying with some of our Togo missionary colleagues (and their great kids).  

Jonathan is teething, so a little bit irritable.  Timothy is walking around the house yelling, “Nonnanon teeth coming out!”  We’re into dramatics around here.

-Randy

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Vaughn family...You don't really know me personally, but I am very familiar with your family there and also the Jeffrey family here! I want you to know that I have been in prayer for you all over the past few weeks as you endured a loss of phone service! I learned about this from Suzy and Becky at Ladies Bible Class (by the way, Kelly, what a blessing your mom and sister are!!). I hope you won't mind my occasional comments - it's just so wonderful to be connected to missionaries in the field, doing the Lord's work. I am in prayer for Harvest Sunday, as well. The work you and others are doing blesses so many people. God's blessings to you - Mindy Tyndall

Brooks Inc. said...

I too have been praying/wrestling in prayer for the Lake family. I am not sure I even have an intelligent thought to add to this discussion. He is so much higher than I and I know that... yet at times like these when I know the right answers/cliches that are offered...They still do not make a tragedy go away and people are left with broken hearts, questions, and doubts that I think some of us will carry until we see our Lord face to face. I long for that day.

I love you all and love reading your thoughts!

Becky

Rob said...

Love your update and love you guys even more.

Per Pastor Lake's situation, my mentor and friend Joe Mc says, "All I know is that God is perfect. He can do no wrong." Like Becky said, I have little intelligent to add other than God is perfect. He can do nothing wrong. Some how, some way, this will work together for good. Hard but true.

All the best from Monroe, GA/Novosibirsk, Russia to you in Benin!

Rob, Traci, Benja, Nate and Aidan

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

I heard some briefly about that baptism tragedy the other day but I haven't watched or listened to the news much in the last couple of days. When I heard it, I got the sick feeling in my stomach imagining that image for the congregation and especially his own family. I don't have any words of wisdom either.

Can't believe Tori is 7 !!! Wow!!! Such a big girl. Got that 529 started yet? HA Can't wait to see pictures from that party and pictures from your Christmas Decorations going up. I know it's that time of year for you guys!! Only 54 shopping days til Christmas!!! Love ya brother!!