Friday, February 10, 2006

Tagged!

I got tagged by Anthony Parker

Three of the Worst Jobs I've Had:
1. Roofing (one of the jobs I disliked the most, sorry Dad; Littlefield, TX; it was on those long day on plenty of hot roofs where my brother Donny and I would belt out that Restless Heart favorite “big dreams in a small town.”)
2. Waiter at Red Lobster in Abilene, TX (1 ½ years…of nothing but $2 tips from a bunch of cheapies…the largest tip I got was from a man who was somewhat inebriated!)
3. Computer programmer (all my friends are chuckling) for GTE (now Verizon). I spent a whole lot more time designing the covers for the programming manuals around the office than I did doing programming (my Marketing persona hard at work).

Three of the Most Fun and Fulfilling Jobs I've Had:
1. Present job as a church-planting missionary in Benin, West Africa; there are days when it is the most satisfying work I have ever done…having the privilege to walk with eager hearts wanting to know Jesus Christ!
2. Marketing Assistant for some company that makes hot dogs (forgot the name). It was actually a temporary assignment during the summer of 1991, but I got to use my Marketing degree and design a full annual report which they loved. The office environment was a blast and when we were done, the boss said, “Let’s all go to Old San Francisco Steakhouse…our treat!”
3. Assistant to the College Recruiting Director at GTE (Verizon). It was a fun summer just out of college (ACU) and I got to play the role of planning all the summers’ activities for all of GTE’s Summer Interns. It was fun and very enlightening to meet students from Purdue, USC, Penn State, Univ of Florida, etc...those happy hours were quite memorable…yes I do remember them (ha)

Four Movies I Could Watch Over and Over:
Saving Private Ryan
Air Force One
You’ve Got Mail
Steel Magnolias

Three Books I Could Read Over and Over:
I have never ever read a book over and over; but for a one-time-read I really enjoyed and could recommend:

1. DNA of Relationships (Gary Smalley; just finished it…very good!)
2. The Diary of God (Ron Rose; this is a great easy read about the history of God’s amazing and gracious work in our lives)
3. Waking the Dead (John Eldredge)

Five Places I've Lived:
Littlefield, TX – born and raised
Abilene, TX – undergrad (Marketing) and grad school (Missions) at Abilene Christian University
Fort Worth, TX – this is where I call home now
Quebec City, Quebec – studied French at Laval University…a great city!
Aplahoue, Benin – since 1999

Five TV Shows I Watch:
The West Wing
ER
CSI
Without A Trace
24

Four Places I’ve Been on Vacation:
London
Quebec (went back a few years later)
Red River, NM
Estes Park, CO (a great honeymoon…10 years ago!)

Three Websites I Visit Daily (or whenever the phone line is up):
The Drudge Report
Mike Cope’s Blog
Blogs of Family & Friends

Four Favorite Restaurants:
1. Festival des Glaces (Cotonou, Benin) – it’s our usual anytime we’re in the capital city and you can get a bunch of different flavored ice cream (glaces); plus we’ve transformed the way we cook green beans at home because of the way they do it…garlic and butter make them taste great!
2. Taco Bueno (anywhere we can find one in America) – this is our family favorite whenever we are home on furlough; gotta love Mexi Dips n Chips. Tori was asked in school yesterday by Kelly to draw one of her favorite places to go to in America…she drew an incredible rendition of a Taco Bueno (right down to the perfect logo…gotta love it Ned!)
3. Creperie (Quebec City) – awesome crepes with strawberries and whipped cream
4. Spring Creek BBQ (Bedford, TX) – I think most of you would agree!

Three Places I’d Like to Be Right Now:
Texas (family!)
Washington DC (family!)
Colorado (because it’s cold and I’m hot here!....yesterday it was over 109 degrees in the sun and over 90 degrees in our bedroom at midnight!)

People to Tag:
Becky
Donny
The Vaughn 5

2 comments:

Kelly Vaughn said...

Dee,

What a wonderfully encouraging comment. Thanks for the taking the time.

Abernathy?!! Wow...close to home! Although seems we were arch rivals in sports for a while.....oh well, gotta let that one go.

The Parkers are some great folks! We have known them here in Africa for many years...Anthony is a wise man and so fun to talk to about a range of issues...Maureen is a sweet hostess who makes their home a true refuge....and those boys are so much fun!

Thanks for the info on your blog and Grace Notes. I'll check it out!

-Randy

Anthony Parker said...

Thanks for playing. This was supposed to be the "4 Things Tag," but I never stipulated that and I love the way you felt free to modify it and make it your own. No telling what it'll morph into now.

Glad you've "met" Dee. She's been a big encouragment to us. And thanks for your kind words. We like y'all, too. (One nice thing about French/Ewe/Fon/Southern--different words for you-singular and you-plural.)

My word for "word verification" is "bwugbsha." What language is that?