Saturday, August 06, 2005

A Busy Day!

(Posted by KELLY)

Yesterday was a full day! I started out the morning with my dearest Aja friend, Laurance (left). She and I attended the graduation of a young girl in our church. This young girl, whose name is Victorine, has just finished a two-year apprenticeship. She is now a professional seamstress. She came several weeks ago to my house to invite me to her graduation. It is a custom here to wear an outfit made out of the same material as the graduate to show your support. She asked if I wanted to purchase the material and I wholeheartedly agreed. I am so proud of her decision to persevere in receiving this diploma, giving her the confidence that she can have her own trade and not be dependent on others. It is most common here in this polygamous society for women to be one of many wives, to have several children, and no way to support them. The husband, unfortunately usually spends whatever money he has on himself. Victorine has equipped herself for her future and that is something of which to be proud. Of course we also pray that she will marry a strong Christian man who will honor God’s desire for only one wife!

After returning home, I prepared quickly for our regular Friday afternoon meeting in the village of Dekpo. Dawna and I have been going there regularly now for three months.
We always take with us several friends from the Kaitemy church. Pictured to the right, Bridgette, Laurance and Josephine (Sossa’s wife) come with us to encourage the women in Dekpo. Together we teach, pray for, and support these ladies, many of whom are new Christians. On this day when we arrived, we decided to walk around the village and visit people in their homes and pray for anyone that we saw that was sick. We greeted many people and prayed for a number of people struggling with illnesses and again we had opportunity to pray for five orphaned children.

After leaving this village, we stopped at a reception that was being given for Victorine.
We drank a Coke with her and had our pictures made in clothes made out of the same material! We then got back in the car and we dropped the women back at their homes. At Josephine’s house we stopped the car and went in so that Dawna and I could see Baby Lael. She is doing so well and is so absolutely precious. I have such a hard time leaving her there.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

On another subject, once at home I had to begin packing. My dear grandmother Val Cardwell is in her last days of life. I have been given the opportunity to come home for one week to Fort Worth and hopefully see her one more time before she dies. She has lived a long and faithful life. Because of her belief in Christ, she leaves a legacy of children and grandchildren who follow the Lord. Our family and extended family are gathering at her bedside in Fort Worth. I will join them soon, arriving Sunday night.

Please pray for comfort and blessings for my mom and her two sisters.

-Kelly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are praying for Kelly and Jonathan's safe travel through Europe and over to Texas. We know that the rest of the family are going to be mighty lonely for wife and mom. Praying for you guys too! That this will be a special time for Kelly and also for dad and kids to draw near to the Lord and to one another.

love you in Christ,
Marilyn and Ron